I actually said "in other languages", like Ruby Test::Unit, or RSpec (also
Ruby). And out of all the xUnit frameworks, like JUnit, there is no "specify
amount of tests" in any of them. They just count them as you go, and display
the total amount of passed/failed/totals at the end.
I am not too familiar with the different testing modules on CPAN and Perl to
point to a Perl module that does this without counting, I have only learned
to use Test::Simple/More a couple of months ago while helping a colleague.