0.98_05 is a release candidate for 0.99.  I would say this is the last
stable release of Test::More before 1.5.0 but hahahaha I won't say that.
https://metacpan.org/release/MSCHWERN/Test-Simple-0.98_05/

There hasn't been a stable release in two years, so there's likely to be
code which has wrapped itself around this version.  If smokers and
Test::* module authors would give it a go and report and problems I'd
appreciate that.

Here's the changes since 0.98 which might conceivably have an impact.

* cmp_ok() will error when it gets a non-comparison operator
* isa_ok() and new_ok() default names have changed
* like() and unlike() no longer warn about undef
* subtests will output their name at the start of the subtest