<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Nicholas Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:I've been experimenting with how enc2xs builds the C tables that turn into the
>:shared objects. enc2xs is building tables (arrays of struct encpage_t) which
>:in turn have pointers to blocks of bytes.
>
>Great, you seem to be getting some excellent results.
>
>I have also wondered whether the .ucm files are needed after these
>have been built; if not, we should consider supplying with perl only
>the optimised table data if that could give us a space saving in the
>distribution - it would cut build time significantly as well as
>allowing us to consider algorithms that take much longer over the
>table optimisation, since they need be run only once when we
>integrate updated .ucm files.

The main reason the "compile" was left in was that the tables are different
for UTF-EBCDIC machines. Otherwise just shipping the .C files used
to generate the .so-s is a good idea - I was also struggling to come up
with a "data" format that would be as efficent in space/time as the code
version.

If we eliminate .ucm-s from distribution then I think it would be
useful to have something which will print them out from the internal
form.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons
http://www.ni-s.u-net.com/