On Friday 28 February 2003 09:03 pm, John Kilbourne wrote:

> I am a beginner as well, with the task of finding and counting the
> non-ascii characters in a utf-8 text. How do I do this?

That depends on what you want to accomplish.

Counting Unicode code points is easy. ASCII characters have the form
0x0bbbbbbb in UTF-8. Initial bytes of non-ASCII character encodingss have the
form 10bbbbbb. All other bytes in UTF-8 streams have the form 11bbbbbb. So
matching the range 10000000-10111111 (hex 80-BF) will suffice.

If you want to count text characters while ignoring control characters and
undefined code points, or to count base character +modifier sequences as
single characters, or to count glyphs in the rendering, you need to have a
precise set of definitions suited to your application, and know a good deal
about the details of Unicode.
--
Edward Cherlin
Generalist & activist--Linux, languages, literacy and more