Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

> W liście z pon, 16-08-2004, godz. 16:31 +0300, Jarkko Hietaniemi
> napisał:
>

>>>In summary, some parts of Perl treat non-UTF-8 scalars as ISO-8859-1,
>>>while others treat is as whatever is expected by default in files and
>>>filenames and commandline (the locale tells what it is). It should be
>>>decided one way or the other, otherwise generic code doesn't know how to
>>>interpret Perl scalars it encounters.
>>
>>"generic code"?  If you mean Perl, you can use utf8::is_utf8().  If you
>>mean XS, you can use SvUTF8().
>

> I mean XS. If SvUTF8 is false, I don't know whether to interpret the
> contents as ISO-8859-1 or according to the locale.

True.  But if you know nothing of where the SVs are coming you would not
know it anyway, I think.  You cannot not know whether the bytes in the
SV are characters at all, but instead a binary pack() buffer or a vec()
bitvector, for example.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special