Thanks Jeff; I tried that and I also tried just connecting with
the folder type, without a folder name, which the documentation
says may be done subsequently, with an "open" statement; still,
the object does not connect.  $folder is undefined after
the "new" statement.

I really don't know what else to try; I think I'll leave it
alone for a while and then come back to it; sometimes, this
helps and the answer then jumps at you, making you wonder why
you could not see it before.  Let's hope that will be the case.

Thanks again,

Humberto

Jeff wrote:

Humberto,

Perusing the documentation for Mail::Folder, it
appears that you are probably wanting to call the
'new' method with the $folder_type and $folder_name
args...passing the options hash is optional and
doesn't look like you are needing it.

<snippet from doc>
new($foldertype, $folder_name [, %options])
</snippet>

so try changing:
$folder= new Mail::Folder('$folder_type','%options');
to (untested):
$folder = new Mail::Folder($folder_type,
$folder_name);

HTH

JD

--- Humberto Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>