I'm having trouble installing CPAN modules on OpenBSD and get varied problems and errors.

OpenBSD does come with Perl and CPAN installed - but would it be best to download and compile the current versions?  If so, is there a book or resource I can go to that would outline the steps involved- or is such a process too complex for a beginner like me....
This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments
thereto) by other than the County of Sacramento or the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently
delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.