Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago wrote:

> But why? Is there any reason for not doing this? I guess maybe security
> problems? or unexpected script behaviour?

Good start.

If you went to the trouble of verifying each and every argument before
you created a var out of it (maybe using a pre-defined list of legal
values) you could limit the downside of the errors you could get.  The
interpreter is going to eval whatever you tell it to and if there were
a way to feed an evil config file to your program, it could be disastrous.
I would trust an eval if it was only my code that was being eval'd, but
not from an external source.

eval has it's uses, mostly for trapping errors in sub-code and debugging,
but most people avoid it in regular code.  There are differences between
V4 and V5 and memory leak problems that you could encounter; plus the fact
that you're adding a level of complexity to your code.

I'd still recommend using a short hash name instead and also be careful
of what 'value' these vars/keys can take on from the config file.

--
  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert    Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles    Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]