I have been using perl for a long time (many version directories, many
manually installed modules, many updated modules), and I have a
PERLLIB environment variable set.  I usually install my modules with
their defaults:

  perl Makefile.PL
  make
  make test
  make install

Some while ago my perl programs started having trouble finding
installed modules.  I have started adding "use lib LIST;" to my
scripts but that is getting old.

What can I do to clean up the existing @INC array to ensure all the
module directories are found?

How can I avoid problems in the future?

How can I eliminate old modules which have been superseded by later
installations?

What is the best practice for manually installing modules?  (I don't
have internet access for many of the machines I use regularly.)

Thanks for any help.

--Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida