> What is the best practice for manually installing modules?
> (I don't have internet access for many of the machines I use
> regularly.)

I have the same problem; here's how I overcame it. I was able to get
permission to set up a firewall rule allowing ONE unix machine to access
ONE CPAN mirror location. On that machine, I set up a local CPAN mirror
using CPAN::Mini. This is a great tool that allows you to mirror only
the latest version of all modules (or a subset by filtering out parts of
CPAN you don't care about, e.g. Acme:: and bioperl).

Then, all you have to do is configure the 'cpan' command on the other
unix machines to point to this mirror, and voila. 'cpan' works like it
was connected to the internet, even though the host is not.

It gets even better. Later, I realized I can use CPAN::Mini::Inject to
add our own modules in the BLS:: namespace to the local mirror, without
having to upload them to CPAN. Yet they are installable just like CPAN
modules anywhere in the organization. This is really neat.

- Mark.

--
Mark Thomas
Internet Systems Architect