Dan Jablonsky wrote:
> hi all,
> I have the following situation that I need to manage:
> one network that includes
> 1. one Belkin N 1 Vision wireless router
> 2. one windows box
> 3. one ubuntu 9.10 box
> 4. one video streaming box
>
> The video streaming box is getting video streams form some url; the windows
> box is downloading p2p. The problem is that while the downloads are working
> on the windows box, the video streaming is getting slower and slower to the
> point is starts buffering every 5 seconds. If I kill the downloads, then the
> video streaming is getting back to normal.
>
> Can anybody recommend a plan for scripting a function that would close the
> downloads when the streaming box is open and bring them up again when the
> streaming stops?
>
> I am not sure where should I start, please give me some general pointers and
> I'll do the work.
> If you need more info, just let me know.

Knowing nothing about the streaming box, if you could go by the fact
it's turned on/off, you could try some sort of ping to it from the
Doze box and stop the P2P if it's up.  If there were another way to
talk to it while it's up that would tell you if it's streaming or
not, then you wouldn't have to turn it off.  I'm thinking you would
need some good docs on the streamer to know for sure, but you could
start by playing around with pinging or trying to connect to various
ports to get a handle on what it's doing and see if you could glean
something useful from that.  If it streams on a known port, you may
be able to figure that out remotely by trying to connect to that port.
Lots of unknowns here.  Afraid that's not much help.