I just read some about POE (Perl Object Environment -
http://poe.perl.org), and it seems really interesting. I had the idea
that by combining POE and Win32::GUI you could perhaps create a UI
program that doesn't freeze whenever it's doing something time
consuming. (e.g. sending/receiving data over a network)

Some time ago I wrote a small program using Win32::GUI and
LWP::UserAgent that downloaded a web page every X minutes and checked if
it had been updated, and if it had the program popped up a window on the
screen. The only problem was that it was impossible to interact with the
program while it was downloading this (quite large) page from the
(rather slow) server. The idea struck me that maybe rewriting the whole
thing using POE might solve my troubles? As I said, I have no experience
with POE, but if it could be successfully combined with Win32::GUI I
would definitely look into it. So, can it be done? Has anyone with POE
knowledge tried it?

I think that's what I meant...
        -Ludde