Hi Aldo,

Glad to hear from you again. I would like CVS commit access on SourceForge, user name guruglenn although I may not be able to use it until next year (but that's only a couple months away). Thank you.

I'm glad to hear you are working on NEM, as I think it is a friendlier model overall. Unfortunately, due to timing, I must proceed with my current project using the old event model + bug fixes.

Regarding bugfixes, it would be nice to have them available on the current code base, but at this point, with many non-working features in your current development code base, it seems like simply releasing it wouldn't be practical.

Although I haven't yet figured out SourceForge's CVS implementation, I know the general capabilities of a source code control system, having worked with SCCS, RCS, and ClearCase. And I think CVS is built on top of SCCS or RCS, so has the same capabilities, just packages them nicer? At least, I think that is how it started... Anyway, perhaps it would be nice to have two branches... a development branch and a bugfix branch.

Perhaps you could continue on the NEM on the development branch, and let other people work on the bugfix branch, fixing bugs, and perhaps doing minor enhancements.

If this sounds good to you, perhaps someone (I'd volunteer starting in Jan, but if there are other volunteers that's OK) could be the designated "pumpking" for the bugfix branch.

On approximately 11/17/2003 2:47 AM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Aldo Calpini:
hello Win32::GUI people

I'm here, I'm here! I'm very, very sorry for my latitance. I know I
have promised a lot of things, a lot of times, and never respected
what I said. please accept my excuse for this.

and I'm very, very happy to see things moving and people willing to
help. as it is clear at this point, I'm not in the position to continue
developing Win32::GUI all alone. but I'm not going to give up the project.
if there is something useful for the community I can do acting as a
coordinator (sort of "pumpking", in Perl terms), I'll be very happy to
coordinate. if someone feels like taking over the whole stuff, I'll be
very happy to be just a member of a team of developers.

my current development version of Win32::GUI has many bugfixes, but the
internals are being heavily reworked (to support NEM more "natively")
and there are many non-working features. as an open question to anyone
interested, I ask: do you think it is better to keep the "rewrite" off
for a while and work on bugfixing the current release, or do you
prefer working with me on the new internals?

I can give all the tech help (eg. about XS and about how Win32::GUI works)
to people who want to be part of the dev team. there's a mailing list
(perl-win32-gui-hackers) that I set up just for this task.

so, if you want CVS commit access on SourceForge, just give me your
SourceForge user name and I will set it up. the -hackers mailing list
can also be used to ask questions about how SourceForge and/or CVS
works.

regarding the documentation, I appreciate what Erick did, but I found
it a little difficult to work with. I think a wiki (with CGI::Kwiki,
for example) would be a better start. we could also write in POD so
that the documentation could be more easily integrated in the CPAN
distribution.

I'm still backlogging all the messages on the list, so I will have
more to elaborate on later. for now, please accept my most sincere and
humble apologies for being such a non-existant person for so much
time :-(

cheers,
Aldo

__END__
$_=q,just perl,,s, , another ,,s,$, hacker,,print;