Hi,

I can put together GUIs...been doing it in Java, Tk,
and using Win32::GUI.  One thing I'd be interested in
would be how to write a Windows app that has a GUI
that responds when you click buttons, but the
underlying activities/background processes continue to
run.

This is doable by using threads - you will probably better of using the latest version of Perl (5.8.4?) as you can, since threading is generally weak in early versions. Win32::gui seems fine with threads since I've been able to create C threads (via an xs module) which were able to fire events in the GUI via windows SendMessages.

Cheers,

jez.