To: "Win32-GUI List" <perl-win32-gui-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: FW: [perl-win32-gui-users] Website - Code snippets gallery

Hi all: I think win32::gui cookbook is a great idea. Has anyone even
think about trying to officially publish it. I don't mind putting out
the money for self-publish I-universe type book and split the profit!
;)
I can actually submit a few examples mysef.
Please let me know if anyone is interested.

al ;)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:17:17 -0800, Glenn Linderman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On approximately 11/15/2004 7:29 AM, came the following characters from

the keyboard of Chris Wearn:

> I agree that the official documentation describing each control, it's
> methods and properties are each described in greater detail (especially > the > TDB ones), also a list of depreciated methods and their replacements. I > also > note that with each build or commit to CVS, Laurent has documented more > and > more of these... I know from personal experience that documentation is > the
> least exciting part of any project.
>
> I feel, the people best placed to document the project, are those
> contributing the functionality to the source, however slow it creeps > in.
>
> What we are tossing around here, is the idea of creating a collection > of
> both small snippets of individual control syntax, and larger working
> examples for all to benefit from, and is somewhat outside of the > official
> documentation.

And this is a good idea, to augment the official documentation.

I'll continue to lobby for all sample code to be embedded in working
scripts, so that people can play/modify from there.  In an associated
text document, quoting particular snippets of code is OK, but there
should always be a reference to the complete script in which the
technique is used.  (It might not hurt to point back to the document,
from the code, also, to keep things maintainable and in sync.)

I've just found in the past that snippets are often described without
describing their underlying assumed requirements, which can be beastly
difficult for new users to comprehend... and then they give up...
whereas if everything is in working samples, there are no unstated
assumptions... the assumptions may not all make it into the text, but
they made it into the code!

Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/