This is not exactly a Win32::GUI question but a Win32 perl question:

Today I became the 146,037th perl programmer to discover that Win32 totally ignores the alarm() function and SIG{ALRM} signal. Not even Time:HiRes ualarm() works. Unbelievable.

So are there any clever work-arounds? I saw one suggestion of using Win32::Process to spawn a whole new process (as a seperate executable) just for the feature you want to implement a timeout and use WAIT setting to kill it (and redirect STDIN and STDOUT so you can communicate with the new process)... does anyone know a more elegant solution? I looked at the Win32::API methods and didn't see anything directly related there.

Thanks,
Kurt