> Presuming of course that the server is set up to be secure.  All of those
> OSes can have large gaping holes in their security caused both by
> admin user action and inaction.

If you were to chose a server for your bank to use would you prefer it had 5
to 10 vulnerabilities a year of which 1 or 2 were remote exploits or would
you rather it has 30 to 50 of which 15 to 20 were remote exploits ?

Then would you rather they ran software on top which opened up 1 or 2 more
holes or would you rather they ran stuff that opened 100s of holes ?

Less vulnerabilities means less downtime, less maintainence and less
mistakes. Also I think you'll find that some of the BSD UNIX have had 0
remote exploits, and only 2 or 3 local exploits in the past few years.

You can't expect administrators to cover up for every hole, especially when
the holes aren't disclosed for months at a time, worse still you can't go
patching production servers every other week - production servers by nature
should have no downtime - Microsoft patches mean rebooting and repatching
your 'production' servers every few weeks.

Also the easier it is to secure a server - the more likely it is to be so.
Would you rather have a production server that requires registry tweaks and
3 days of patching to be secure or a server that is secure out-of-the-box
(OpenBSD, TrustedLinux, AS/400) or can be totally secured during
installation (bastile, debian, suse, even redhat).

So I'll repeat it - Windows is not suitable for production servers.
Regardless of how good your sysadmins are, it is better to start with a more
secure foundation than to use an insecure platform and hope you can plaster
the cracks and patch it quicker than it is hacked.

A.

--
Aaron J Trevena, BSc (Hons)     www.head2head.co.uk
Internet Application Developer  Perl, UNIX, IIS/ASP