[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<snip!>

> The $expletive produced by Excel claiming to be HTML
> is just awful (and Office 2000 is even worse)

You got that right. When HTMLizing "Put the CD in the CD drive" with
Word2K, we got

"Put the CD in the <address>CD drive</address>."

> If you do save from Excel, make sure you run the resulting file
> through HTML Tidy.

Definitely. If it will take it. Last time I tried the HTMLTidy embedded in
HTML-Kit with Word2K-generated HTML, it died horribly. Maybe you need a
more recent HTMLTidy than is embedded in HTML-Kit.

Or use OpenOffice.org. Both word processor and spreadsheet produce better
HTML than the corresponding MS-office products. Well, they actually
_produce_ html (the MS ones do XML, as the humorous but apposite example
above illustrates).

Anyhow, for the same 5-row by 2-column spreadsheet, OpenOffice produced 50
lines of HTML, and Excel produced 150 lines of XML.

But unfortunately I have no experience with OLE to OpenOffice.

Tom Wyant

information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the sender
by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.  Unless
explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
or an acceptance of a contract offer.  This e-mail does not constitute
a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.