The code:

while (<>) {
    $day = '';
    print "Before: $_";
    s/(Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|
      Saturday|Sunday)'s(\s+Games)?//x and $day = $1;
    print "After: $_";
    print "Day = '$day'\n";
    }

The test:

C:\>perl trw.tmp
Yesterday's Games were boring
Before: Yesterday's Games were boring
After: Yesterday's Games were boring
Day = ''
Before Sunday's Games we partied
Before: Before Sunday's Games we partied
After: Before  we partied
Day = 'Sunday'
After sunday's games we had hangover
Before: After sunday's games we had hangover
After: After sunday's games we had hangover
Day = ''
Monday we had to be at work
Before: Monday we had to be at work
After: Monday we had to be at work
Day = ''
Monday's work was no fun
Before: Monday's work was no fun
After:  work was no fun
Day = 'Monday'

"Yesterday's Games were boring" was unaffected.
"Before Sunday's Games we partied" had "Sunday's Games" stripped, and $day set to
Sunday.
"After sunday's games we had hangovers" was unaffected, because the match was
case-sensitive.
"Monday we had to be at work" was unaffected, because "Monday" had no apostrophe
"Monday's work was no fun" had "Monday's" stripped, and $day set to Monday.

Tom Wyant

information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the sender
by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.  Unless
explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
or an acceptance of a contract offer.  This e-mail does not constitute
a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.