Thanks Bill!
Your code worked great, I tested it on a different url and it worked ! yeah, but
it timed out on the page Im trying to get (Im working from home on a 56k modem) but it
seems to get
other pages just fine. With the debug code I can see that on  the ... quakes.all page
it
zips along and then
it hangs. I played with increasing the timeout and it still timesout... must be
something in the source code..
but the main thing is now I can use LWP to get files.
The purpose in reading this file was to learn how to get a file thru LWP (even through
proxy) to parse it
and create new files.
Ive got the rest working fine but was stuck on the proxy part... thanks again
Lori