Here's a strangeness:

my $res = sysseek( @stk[ -2, -3, -1 ] );

fails to compile, but

my $res = sysseek( $stk[ -2 ], $stk[ -3 ], $stk[ -1 ] );

compiles fine. As far as I can tell, they have the same effect.

And curiously, the error from the first is about the number of parameters.

Can anyone explain that? sysread and syswrite aren't so picky....

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/

And here is why it is ridiculous:
The division that includes Windows posted an operating profit of $2.26 billion on revenue of $2.81 billion.
--from Reuters via http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/031113/tech_microsoft_msn_1.html

So that's profit of over 400% of investment... with a bit more investment in Windows technology, particularly in the area of reliability, the profit percentage might go down, but so might the bugs and security problems? Seems like it would be a reasonable tradeoff. WalMart earnings are 3.4% of investment.