Hi --

   I am trying to make a system call from a plx file on wintel 98, IE 6.0.
   Plx is the extension for my perl cgi files (I have not been able to get
IE 6 to recognize .cgi).

   When I run the code below from a dos window it works fine outputting the
html code to the screen. When I invoke it from an anchor which sends it to a
new target, the new target opens, a dos window opens briefly, the html code
gets displayed fine but the blue progress bar at the bottom of IE stops
increasing after going about 1/3 of the way and the window hangs.

    If I comment out the system call, it works just fine. What's happening
to cause the browser to hang?

    Thanks,

    Barry

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use CGI;

system ('dir');

my $query = CGI->new();

print $query->header( "text/html" ),
      $query->start_html(-title   => "My First CGI Script",
                         -bgcolor => "#ffffcc" ),
      $query->h1( "Hello Web page" ),
      $query->p( "What happens next?" ),
      $query->end_html;