----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Morse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ken Cornetet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Dirk Bremer (NISC)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 08:45
Subject: Re: :Oracle

> On my computers, if I use SQL Worksheet, I connect using username
> 'XXuser', password 'XXpass', and connection 'actris'.  The equivalent
> in Perl is:
>
> my $db = DBI->connect('dbi:Oracle:ACTRIS', 'XXuser', 'XXpass') or
> die(DBI->errstr);
>
> I find that if I don't capitalize the connection ('ACTRIS'), it doesn't
> work.  The case of the rest of the string matters as well (lowercase
> 'dbi', capital 'O').
>
> This should print all the available data sources (I enclosed the call
> in an eval because I get back errors with DBD::Proxy that halt the
> program).
>
> Note that the case of the returned drivers is important (eg, Oracle
> like 'dbi:Oracle', while ODBC likes 'DBI:ODBC'...)
>
> HTH,
> Ricky

Ricky,

This is the output of the simple script I am using to test the connection.

DBI::VERSION = 1.37
DBD::Oracle::VERSION = 1.06
ExampleP:
        dbi:ExampleP:dir=.

ODBC:
        DBI:ODBC:Test Mas Rdb 97
        DBI:ODBC:AMS
        DBI:ODBC:MQIS
        DBI:ODBC:ECDCMusic
        DBI:ODBC:OMS

Oracle:
        dbi:Oracle:STARTEAM.xxx.xxx

Proxy:
        Error while looking for sources for driver

mysql:
        DBI:mysql:ftp_transfers
        DBI:mysql:mysql
        DBI:mysql:test

        C:/Perl/site/lib/DBI.pm line 584 (#1)
    (W uninitialized) An undefined value was used as if it were already
    defined.  It was interpreted as a "" or a 0, but maybe it was a mistake.
    To suppress this warning assign a defined value to your variables.

    To help you figure out what was undefined, perl tells you what operation
    you used the undefined value in.  Note, however, that perl optimizes
your
    program and the operation displayed in the warning may not necessarily
    appear literally in your program.  For example, "that $foo" is
    usually optimized into "that " . $foo, and the warning will refer to
    the concatenation (.) operator, even though there is no . in your
    program.

DBI connect('STARTEAM.xxx.xxx','rptcrm',...) failed:  at
C:\Perl\Scripts\PTest.pl line 28

The connect line is:

my $DBH = DBI->connect('dbi:Oracle:STARTEAM.xxx.xx','rptcrm','rptcrm');

Note that in all of the above examples, the notation 'xxx.xxx' relates to a
LAN address. When I connect using SQLPlus, I use a logon of "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and
a password and it works. I have tried using the "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" in the Perl
script as the user, but it fails as well. I can connect using ODBC but would
prefer to use DBD::Oracle.

Dirk Bremer - Systems Programmer II - ESS/AMS  - NISC St. Peters
USA Central Time Zone
636-922-9158 ext. 8652 fax 636-447-4471

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.nisc.cc