----- Original Message -----
From: "Bennett Haselton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 14:52
Subject: how to do a timeout of accept() in ActivePerl

> However, I'm trying to do something similar in ActivePerl (v5.8.3 build
> 809) but the ActivePerl-Winfaq5.html file says that the alarm() function
is
> not implemented in ActivePerl.  So is there a way in ActivePerl to force a
> block of code to time out after a certain number of seconds?  This is the
> code that I'm trying to make time out:
>
> my $server = IO::Socket::INET->new( Proto     => 'tcp',
>                                   LocalPort => $PORT,
>                                    Listen    => SOMAXCONN,
>                                    Reuse     => 1);
> $server->accept();
>
> I tried seeing if the accept() function had its own timeout that I could
> use -- this is what the documentation says:
>
>  >>>
> accept([PKG])

Bennett,

I do soemthing similar by specifying the Timeout parameter like this:

    my $Socket = IO::Socket::INET->new(LocalHost => $SocketServer,
                                       Listen    => 5,
                                       LocalPort => $Port,
                                       Proto     => 'tcp',
                                       Reuse     => 1,
                                       Timeout   => $Interval);

The value of the variable I am using, i.e. $Interval, can be set to whatever
you desire, it represents the number of seconds that the socket will listen
for a connection.

Dirk Bremer - Systems Programmer II - ESS/AMS  - NISC St. Peters
USA Central Time Zone
636-922-9158 ext. 8652 fax 636-447-4471

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.nisc.cc