Yep, that works, thanks. (If the port is in use, it apparently doesn't output a nice clean error or put one in $!, but if the constructor fails, $server fails to be created, so you can test on that value.)

        -Bennett

At 03:13 PM 8/20/2004 -0700, $Bill Luebkert wrote:
Bennett Haselton wrote:

> p.s. is there a way to ensure that the IO::Socket::INET accept() call will
> fail if the port is already in use? If I try
>
> my $server = IO::Socket::INET->new(
> Proto => 'tcp',
> LocalPort => 80,
> Listen => SOMAXCONN,
> Reuse => 1,
> Timeout => 10
> );
> $server->accept();
>
> with a Web server already running on my machine and listening on port 80,
> the code above runs with no error -- it times out after 10 seconds since it
> can't receive any connections, because the OS is sending all port 80
> connections to the Web server. Is there a configuration option I can pass
> such that accept() will always fail right away because port 80 is in use?

Try dropping the reuse arg.

--
,-/- __ _ _ $Bill Luebkert Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(_/ / ) // // DBE Collectibles Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]