> I am not sure if this is the right list for this question.

Perl-Unix-Users would have been best.

> I am working on Windows, and find I keep writing very
> short Perl scripts to implement UNIX utilities.  I call
> them zap_grep, zap_wc, zap_unique, zap_diff, zap_sort.
> My versions are very crude compared with the UNIX
> originals, and I wondered if somebody had already gone
> through this exercise.

Several years ago, Tom Christiansen started the Perl Power Tools project
with a goal of reimplementing all the Unix utilities in Perl. They got
reasonably far, but the project stagnated around 2001. However, this year a
new site was born for it, so they may have regained momentum:

http://ppt.perl.org/

All the commands you mention have been done. By done, I mean they function
_exactly_ like their Unix counterparts.

Of course, the cygwin project another poster mentioned is also a good bet,
as it gives you all the unix tools and shells, and even compilers, etc.

--
Mark Thomas
Internet Systems Architect