Chris Wagner wrote:

> I *always* call my own defined functions/subroutines with the & prefix.
> It's just good practice.  Allowing the & to be omitted just encourages bad
> programming practices.

Before the change in meaning for & I would have agreed with you, but you
can't do that and expect to use prototypes and you have to be careful in
the case of calling a sub with no args cause it will expose the @_ from
one level above.  Now, I never use & unless it has to be there for syntactic
reasons - otherwise there's too much hassle trying to remember whether you
used protypes or not for that function and I don't often use prototypes
since little of my work is production work.

Personally, I would like a warning in the situation where you redefine a
core function and an easy way to override the warning when it was your
intent to do so.  Maybe Perl6 has this resolved - I haven't been checking
in much recently.

--
  ,-/-  __      _  _         $Bill Luebkert    Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 (_/   /  )    // //       DBE Collectibles    Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]