$Bill Luebkert Sent on 04 Aug 2005 07:36:35 -0700:

>  Suresh Govindachar wrote:
>
>> One answer to the question I asked earlier:
>>
>>   > I would like to show multiple addresses on a map -- from
>>   > a "user PC" (rather than from a "web-server").  I am
>
> Why not a webserver on your local PC ?  You can easily install
> Apache on your PC from Apache.org.

Thanks for the suggestion and mentioning (below) your experience
using GoogleMaps with it.

I suspect that one can also write a perl script that acts as a
simple HTTP server and works with GoogleMaps -- but I don't know
where to start for coding and for seeing examples of such scripts.
I would like to explore this before getting into Apache.
Any suggestions?

>>   > hoping to have a perl script read in a list of addresses
>>   > and generate a html page.  All the input addresses would
>>   > be within about 20 miles of each other; and each address
>>   > in the list would have a html link associated with it.
>>   > Viewing the html page generated by the perl script in a
>>   > browser should show a map with markers for each address
>>   > in the list.  Clicking on the marker should open a new
>>   > browser for the html link associated with that address.
>>   >
>>   > Can the preceding be done?  Any suggestions?
>>
>> is WebServer::GoogleMaps.
>>
>> To install on Windows, just end up with the file
>> <path>perl/site/libWebService/GoogleMaps.pm
>> Then change line 57 in GoogleMaps.pm from
>>     $self->{gm_version} ||= ".1";
>>     $self->{gm_version} ||= ".3";
>> (Preceding modification is from a post to CPAN::Forum
>> by Michael Burns on Sat Jun 18 20:38:18 2005.)
>> Then run the two main examples and look at the resulting
>> images mymap.png and goodeats.png.
>
> I would consider using HTML::GoogleMaps instead and bring up the
> Google map interactive so you can pan and zoom direct from the
> Google site.  You can get a free key for your machine (I got one
> for 127.0.0.1 and used that on my PC).

Thanks,

--Suresh