Hi, Andrew

a) can you run the DIRMON.pl script as yourself, interactively?
b) can you rediect STDERR to a file in a BEGIN{} block to see if you're able
to capture any errors from server mgr.

c) That error isn't always a problem - sometimes the service does start, I'm
guessing it's not in your case, though so it's probably waiting on
something.

Was the service initially installed to run as Localhost\System (or
whatever)?

Kind regards,

Mark Anderson
Team Leader - RSWI
1st Floor, The Broadstone
50 South Gyle Crescent
Edinburgh, EH12 9UX
Tel: 0131 523 7630
Mob: 07808 826 063

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No. 90312. Registered
Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the
message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the
message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your
computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Royal Bank of
Scotland plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message
after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses,
it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward
transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not
adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by The
Royal Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry out
such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.