Glenn asked:

  >> (They have taken the pleasant activity of working at a console and
  >> made it miserable drudgery.  In cmd.exe, I had to be careful to use
  >> unix find rather than cmd.exe's find.  In the power-shell, I am
  >> finding that more unix commands are over-ridden, for example, diff;
  >> I think I'll just prefix all my unix-utility commands with u:  ufind,
  >> ugrep etc.)
  >
  > Is there any compensating benefit to using PowerShell, to
  > overcome the "miserable drudgery" that you describe?  Why not
  > just stick with cmd.exe?

  Before answering the question, there is a bug in the .pl file-asssociation.
  If the path to the .pl file has spaces so that one needs to use
  " " then the .pl association is not recognized!

  I was not clear about what was "miserable drudgery".  I don't mind
  renaming my unix utilities with the prefix u.  It is the
  complicated way of, say, setting an environment variable that's
  painful -- but I don't do that very often.

  I have just been using PowerShell for a few hours, and so far
  I can continue to use it as cmd.exe (except for the above bug).

  The one big benefit over cmd.exe is being able to use / in path
  names.  I never got used to \.

  Also, _if_ the console/terminal PowerShell Plus supports lots of
  colors, I will be able to use console vim (rather than gvim).

  Today with the power-shell: Right-Click on short-cut to PowerShell
  brings a drop-down menu:

           -> Properties
              Pick Compatibility Tab
                 Hit [X] Run in 256 colors

  However, the result was that colors on the entire desktop got
  messed up!  For example, the "Olive Green" theme became
  steel-gray!  So I switched back to 16 colors.

  --Suresh