On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Sisyphus wrote:
> From: "Jan Dubois" <j...@activestate.com>
> > I've added that code, and also tried to use it for the
> > ActivePerl::Config hack that tells ExtUtils::Liblist::Kids about the
> > MinGW library location:
>
> Again, I've struck no need to remove the additional 2 lines that you
> have, but again, the application of that patch doesn't break anything.
> I don't know why $ENV{ACTIVEPERL_MINGW}/lib was being pushed onto
> @libpath in the first place. For me, that resolves to my perl/site/lib
> directory and there's certainly no reason for me to push that location
> onto @libpath. Did it ever serve a purpose for anyone ?

Good point; the code is actually broken when you invoke gcc via the
forwarders in Perl\site\bin.

However, when you have C:\MinGW\bin in your PATH, then it would add
C:\MinGW\lib, which is where all the libfoo.a import libraries for the
standard Windows libraries are stored. Adding this directory gets rid of
these warnings:

Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lkernel32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -luser32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lgdi32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lwinspool
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lcomdlg32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ladvapi32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lshell32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lole32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -loleaut32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lnetapi32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -luuid
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lws2_32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lmpr
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lwinmm
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lversion
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lodbc32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lodbccp32
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lmsvcrt

At least for modules using Module::Install, like Par-Packer.  The
warnings are harmless, but it seems better to suppress them than
to confuse a user that something might be wrong when actually it
isn't.

I guess I'll need to add some more code to ActivePerl::Config
to replace Perl\site\lib with Perl\site\lib\auto\MinGW\lib.

So any objections to appending that location to LIBRARY_PATH?

Cheers,
-Jan

PS: MinGW-5.1.4.1 seems to be on the external PPM servers now
    if you want to give it a try.