Hi, I am also new to the list, and just returned from some Perl training.  I
had hopes of getting my PWS up and running to do some work, and it is two
days of frustration.  I have D/L'd Active Perl, and have PWS installed.  I
have changed my registry settings as prescribed for the .pl extension.
When I double click on the xyz.pl in Win Explorer, I can see the DOS window
open and a brief view of the pgm running correctly.  BUT, I have not gotten
the execution to work via the PWS, that is, I can not get it to create a
'real' functioning web page.

any suggestions

Subject: Re: HELP! can't install PERL interpreter with FrontPage 98 Personal
WebServer

> I can not say that I have tried this on PWS, but what I know from IIS this
> documentation seems like it should work just fine...
>
> Emo1313
> ===================================
> To use Perl with the Personal Web Server on Windows 95/98/NT:
>
> Download Perl for Win32 (Intel package)
> Run the executable you just downloaded to install Perl.
> To execute perl scripts on PWS...
> For more on PerlScript resources....
> Note:  Windows 98 users may experience CGI Errors or no output at all when
> attempting to execute perl scripts. If this happens, follow the below
> mapping procedure with great care because you will be adding an entry to
> your registry.
>
> This is the registry key that needs to be changed:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters\Scrip
> tMap
>

> Here's how you accomplish it:
> =============================
>
> Stop your web server by right-clicking on the PWS icon in the task tray
and
> left-clicking "Stop Service".
>
> Next, click the "Start" button on the task bar and click "Run". In the Run
> dialog box enter "regedit" without the quotes and click "Ok".
>
> Click the "+" sign beside the following to reach "Script Map"
>
> Select the key "Script Map". From the edit menu choose "New" then "String
> Value".
>
> Name the new value ".pl" (no quotes) and click okay.
>
> Double-click on the ".pl" you just created and enter "C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
> %s %s" for its value (without the quotes), making sure the s's are lower
> case. If your path to the perl interpreter is not the same as the default
> above, adjust it accordingly.
>
> Close the registry and restart your computer. Restart the PWS web server
if
> it doesn't start automatically.

> Soylent Green Is People!
> Dopplegangers News And Non-Sence - www.dopplegangers.com