An additional note:

I've learned that in the urlscan.ini file, the settings can be modified in
Microsoft's security tool to permit URLs containing .exe so the immediate
urgency no longer exists. But still, it would be good to find a Perl
solution so that the server could be made impervious to .exe access entirely.

Thank you.

Tim