reason you can't use that build.

http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/5.6/ActivePerl-5.6.1
.638-MSWin32-x86.msi

If you disable Friendly Errors in your browser, you'll see something
about ASP telling you it can't SetScriptState properly (there are a few
bugs listed in the bug tracker for this problem).  They tend to center
around trying to do a $Server->Transfer() or $Response->Redirect(), or
oddly enough, when trying to use certain COM objects.

http://bugs.activestate.com/buglist.cgi?querytype=simple&type%3Ashort_de
sc%3Along_desc%3Abug_file_loc%3Astatus_whiteboard%3Akeywords=substring&O
R%3Ashort_desc%3Along_desc%3Abug_file_loc%3Astatus_whiteboard%3Akeywords
=SetScriptState&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNE
D&bug_status=REOPENED

In IIS6 this problem can be masked by increasing the number of worker
processes that you allow your WebGarden to control or decreasing the
amount of time IIS will take to recycle the worked processes -- neither
gets rid of the problem and have possible side effects that are
potentially worse than the initial problem.

Activestate has had numerous issues with this issue throughout their
later 5.6 builds,  and can't seem to track down the issue in 5.8 (or at
least they won't comment on any possible fixes, except to say that it
might be an IIS 6 issue).  Numerous users have relayed similar
situations, and there's no solution that I've seen in the years that
I've been tracking this bug, except to load build 638 or move to
VBScript, JavaScript, VB.NET, etc.

Good Luck,
Steven