Hi Henri,

> MARC::Charset ... fails on each µ character.

> ad Scripturµ sensum

Although in my email client, the character in question appears as a MICRO SIGN
("µ"), I am assuming that it is actually meant to be a LOWERCASE DIGRAPH AE
("æ") since that is consistent with the Latin vernacular text in your record.
In MARC-8, the LOWERCASE DIGRAPH AE character is a precomposed character
represented by 0xB5 in hex [1].  You mention that you are using MARC::File::XML
which in turn uses MARC::Charset.  I'm wondering if there is some confusion as
to the expected encoding of the MARC records being processed/converted?  If
MARC::Charset is expecting MARC21 Unicode/UCS encoded records, but is actually
getting MARC-8 encoded records, then in that context it likely wouldn't know
what to do with the 0xB5 octet and that might be the cause of the error you are
seeing.

-- Michael

[1] Your MARC records appear to be encoded in MARC-8 as evidenced by "ergáo" in
which the combining accent character comes before the character to be modified.
 I.e. the byte string that displays as "ergáo" in your email would display as
"ergò" (with a Latin small letter o with grave) in a MARC-8 aware client.

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington
# 817-272-5326 office
# 817-688-1926 mobile