Hi Henri-Damien,

> And any LOWERCASE DIGRAPH AE or UPPERCASE DIGRAPH AE or
> LOWERCASE DIGRAPH OE is not well encoded. Encoding is
> **assumed** to be latin1 translated into utf-8 in the
> catalogue I am working on but appears respectively µ, ¥,¶
> in biblios.

        hex     MARC-8                  ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1)
-       ----    --------------------    --------------------
µ       0xB5    LOWERCASE DIGRAPH AE    MICRO SIGN
¥       0xA5    UPPERCASE DIGRAPH AE    YEN SIGN
¶       0xB6    LOWERCASE DIGRAPH OE    PILCROW SIGN

> Is there a way to fix things up ?

If the underlying numerical encoding in your MARC records for the digraphs in
question is hex 0xB5, 0xA5, and 0xB6, then the character set is not Latin-1; it
is MARC-8.  If that is the case, I don't believe that anything needs to be
fixed; if you are using MARC::Charset to convert the records from MARC-8 to
UTF-8, it should work.

However, it may also be that I am misunderstanding the issue.  It would help if
you could provide the pertinent Perl code you are using for the character set
translation and a couple of the MARC records with digraphs that are failing.

> ... but appears respectively µ, ¥,¶ in biblios.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is 'biblios' in the context of this
discussion?

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington