At 4:33 PM +0000 6/23/05, Nicholas Clark (via RT) wrote:
# New Ticket Created by  Nicholas Clark
# Please include the string:  [perl #36375]

This is a bug report for perl from [EMAIL PROTECTED],
generated with the help of perlbug 1.35 running under perl vv5.9.3.

[Please enter your report here]

The current implementation of :unique is most definitely not threadsafe.
Which is, er, crazy, given that it's for use with ithreads. Aside from
all the second order bugs (threads can quit an clean up typeglobs that other
threads are pointing to, putting things of the wrong type into GvHV, GvAV
etc) it has some pretty big first order race conditions.

FWIW: I think this nails the coffin on :unique.

I think the safest would be to deprecate ":unique" by making it a noop. And be done with it.

With the current state of parrot / pugs / perl 6 / ponie I don't think it is worth the tuits to get ":unique" right.

Just my 1.5 eurocents.

Liz