On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:40:11AM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 11:29:21AM -0500, Andy Lester wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:22:32AM -0700, Michael G Schwern ([EMAIL
> > PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > > * Simplify the "what's case-insensitive" docs.  Its just all non-Unix.
> >
> > What about Mac OS X running HFS?
>
> Or Linux running FAT32?  Or OS X running UFS (which is case sensitive)?
>
> The whole idea is basically doomed because we assume the underlying file
> system type based on the operating system.  But we make this assumption
> all over the place in the Perl core and File::Basename is not the place
> to start fixing it.

Instead of trying to determine which filesystem your on (is there any
reasonable way of evening doing that?) why not just test for case
sensitivity when the module is loaded with a BEGIN block?  Granted this
is ugly, and granted you would likely only be able to test the file
system that a dir created by File::Temp::tempdir() lives on, but it
should be fairly portable.

-J