crypt() doesn't really encrypt, it hashes or digests.  Yet perlfunc/crypt
talks about encryption.  This seems misleading.  I discovered this while
explaining that passwords aren't stored encrypted, they are hashed.  This
not-encryption is done with the crypt() function--erk.

So I think it makes sense for the crypt docs to stop saying it encrypts.

I'm no expert in cryptographic terminology, can anyone confirm or verify this?

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
You are wicked and wrong to have broken inside and peeked at the