On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:07:37AM +0200, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> And, knowing that it fails on those platforms, what do you want to do with
> it? Skip or TODO? I can assure you that no changes will be made for libc in
> HP-UX 11.00 or below, so the 10.20 failure will stay there till the end of
> times (unless we work around it in the perl source, which is not worth the
> trouble if you want my opinion)

I think the best we can do is document it as "this isn't portable" and leave
it at that. The behaviour of negative floating point zero is platform
specific. For starters, it assumes that your platform's floating point can
represent it.

Heck, there was a thread a year or two back on perl6-internals where it
turned out that the precise choice of CPU instructions by the compiler on one
platform affected whether a particular C construction produced positive or
negative floating point zero. This was the vendor compiler, not gcc.

Nicholas Clark