On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:31:24 +0200, Dominic Dunlop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > Which isn't true anymore anyway. I've just tried on SuSE 9.2,
> > SuSE 9.3, AIX 4.3.3, AIX 5.2.0, HP-UX 11i, and HP-UX 11.00,
> > and all print "-0" on the example below.
> > Only HP-UX 10.20 still prints "0"
>
> OK. Can somebody say what the situation is on (particular versions
> of) VMS? -- copied to John E Malmberg in the hope of help.
>
> >> But anyway, as the C standard has a footnote saying "The results of
> >> all floating conversions of a negative zero, and of negative values
> >> that round to zero, include a minus sign", I've attached a patch for
> >> sprintf.t that adds a test. I fully expect it to fail on a number of
> >> platforms, in which case it can be hoisted into the "problematic"
> >> section. Smokers, let me know of failures please.
> >
> > And, knowing that it fails on those platforms, what do you want to
> > do with it? Skip or TODO?
>
> Ho hum. sprintf.t doesn't do Skip and TODO (mea culpa), so I'd have
> to hack handling of them into the script, or rewrite the whole thing

I beat you to that :)

> to use test.pl or whatever. I'll look into doing one or the other,
> but in the meantime I'd like to see the patch applied so as to get an
> idea of where this test causes problems.

I'll apply my suggestion, which not only adds your tests, but revalidates the
problematic cases, if noone objects to the suggested patch

> As to the test's disposition, in the hope of action from the OS
> vendor, I'd like it to be a TODO where it fails, but from what you

Adding TODO support would be possible, but for now I only implemented skip

> say, it sounds like a Skip for HP-UX 10.20. However, sprintf.t
> currently says:
>
> # we do not load %Config since this test resides in op and needs
> # to run under the minitest target even without Config.pm working.

Raphael ruled that removing the comment and using Config is OK.

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using Perl 5.6.2, 5.8.0, 5.8.5, & 5.9.2  on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00 & 11.11,