John E. Malmberg wrote:

> Change #25218 needs to be backed out.  Adding the (char *) cast to
> suppress a the compiler warning changes a build time error in to several
> potential run time errors, including access violations and data corruptions.
>
> Patch 25217, while making the code build, has the same bug in it.  The
> patches for perl/pp_sys.c, pp_ctl.c, and mg.c contained in it are
> incorrect and should eventually cause runtime corruption or access
> violations.
>
> I previously submitted patches that fix the problem correctly.

I think I've applied them correctly as change #25257, including backing
out the patches you mentioned.

    http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse?patch=25257

(not having access to a VMS box, and being a bit in a hurry since I'll
be leaving soon for OSCON, it would be useful if you check that I've not
messed it up completely.)