Moin,

Jim Cromie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>attached is an almost-there patch which:
>replaces most arena-root pointers with an array of them
>replaces same root pointers with array.
>simplifies several macros using them.
>the line-count doesnt shrink much, but it simplifies source code, and
>shrinks object code:

I didn't understand this comparisation fully. Are this bytes used by the
functions?

Anyway, this work sounds good. Just one small detail:

+
+    for (i=0; i<17; i++) {
+       S_free_arena(aTHX_ (void**) PL_body_arenaroots[i]);
+       PL_body_arenaroots[i] = 0;
+       PL_body_roots[i] = 0;
+    }

The 17 should be defined somewhere. It might change someday :)

+   Note that 1st 4 sv-types have no bodies,
+   *_allocated bodies are smaller cuz they have unused slots.
+*/

I do not like the abbrevitation "cuz". I sometimes use "w/" and "w/o", but
the former is already borderline for me. I think you have the time to
spell comments out. Otherwise we will see comments like this one next:

        /* 4 u we r ! d0ing teh all0cat'n */

:-D

Best wishes,

Tels

- --
 Signed on Fri Aug 19 11:20:41 2005 with key 0x93B84C15.

 "Let's say there are a thousand. But there are 284 million people in
 this country. You can't have public policy that is aimed at 100,000
 people when the other multi-multi-millions are also involved. You can't
 do it that way." - Jack Valenty in http://tinyurl.com/2y65n