On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The language group has generated the vast majority of the 100+ RFCs in
> existence, and is suffering under the deluge of 100-200 posts a day.  I
> would prefer this to be down around 50, but no luck yet :-/  Part of the
> problem seems to be timezone related... the lag time between an RFC
> being posted, me seeing the thread and realising the need for a sublist,
> and Ask actually creating that list, means that you get 2-3 days of
> traffic before it can be moved elsewhere, and a single RFC can easily
> generate 50 posts.

I think that all this...

> Several sublists have been spawned, but we're not sure how successful
> they are yet.  They seem to have low traffic, which could mean that they
> simply aren't working (because nobody wants to use them), or that they
> *are* working (because the people previously discussing the subject on
> -language weren't deeply interested and just joining in for the hell of
> it, and the sublists scare off the dilletantes).  I think that an NNTP
> interface would be *seriously* useful to the sublists.

... is the cause for this.  All the discussion is taking place in the
master list before the sublists are spawned.  You can only express the
opinion that foo is not bar and never should be so many times.

(To be fair, I collapse my lists, and don't pay attention to what is
posted to what list.)

--
Bryan C. Warnock
([EMAIL PROTECTED])