> Doesn't a lot of OO work (esp. on the Mac) tend to do this?
   >
   > The first thing they do in their application is instantiate an
   > application (mainly, itself, without the application instantiation) and
   > run it.

That's right. All "pure" object-oriented languages work this way: the only
object you instantiate directly is the "program object", whose C<Run>
method you then call.

Hmmmm:

        print ref $0;                   # '/usr/damian/hmmmmm/demo.pl'

        print $0;                       # invoke stringization operator
                                        # to give serialized program state
                                        # (self-reproducing program)

        print $0+0;                     # invoke numerification operator
                                        # to give pid (retire $$)

        my $thread = $0->clone();       # threads

        $0->nice--;                     # accelerate program

:-)

Damian