> RFC 145: Brace-matching for Perl Regular Expressions  (Eric Roode)
>
> Nathan Wiger suggested a special syntax for matching XML-style
> open and close tags.

This died in favor of a more general brace-matching construct, ?[ and
?], which could be used in this capacity:

   /(?['<h2>' => '</h2>')Stuff(?])/

See here for details:

http://www.mail-archive.com/perl6-language-regex%40perl.org/msg00256.html

I believe Eric Roode and I think something like this is cool, but I also
agree that piling stuff into regex's is getting really hairy. Hence the
reason I withdrew from this discussion pending others' ideas of
alternatives.

> RFC 170: Generalize =~ to a special-purpose assignment operator
>          (Nathan Wiger)
>
> Still little discussion of this.

That's because it's obviously so cool! (Kidding!) :-)

In all seriousness, this and RFC 164: "Replace =~, !~, m//, s///, and
tr// with match(), subst(), and trade()" are closely tied together, so I
suspect at this point most people are awaiting a ruling from Larry on
the two (I know I am). I'll probably freeze them as-is within a week or
two if no major revision suggestions are received.

-Nate