On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 04:06:49PM -0400, John Porter wrote:
> Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > Its all flexible.  I forgot to put my usual "there will be exceptions"
> > clause into the RFC.
>
> If I'm allowed to interpret it to mean "There IS no Rule #6",
> then everything's dandy.

The main thing I wish to accomplish here is to change the prevailing
attitude from "write an RFC and maybe something will come of it" to
"write an RFC and make sure something comes of it."  Move the ball
down the field.

I wish to make the default "put up or shut up", but there will be
outs.  You just have to give a good reason why you can't implement a
prototype.

    Good reasons
        Its technically infeasible to write a prototype (RFC 1)
        The prototype will take an inordinate amount of time. (RFC 1)
        This RFC is an idea/manifesto style RFC (RFC 13)

    Bad reasons
        I do not have time.
        I do not have the tuits.

Yes, this means that RFC authors are going to have to invest some time
into their RFCs beyond the initial write-up if they expect them to
fly.  Your idea becomes your pet project and you are ultimately
responsible for pushing it forward.  If you can find someone else to
tkae over that pushing (a White Knight, a working group leader,
etc...) fine.

If the idea behind the RFC is good enough, not having time or tuits
should not be a problem, as its inherent err... "goodness" should
attract those who have time and tuits.  Even if the RFC is marginal
but provocative, the resulting controversial discussion around it
should be easily nudged into creating prototypes.  The rivals can be
asked to put their ideas into code and pit the two against each other.

Sometimes just saying "there's no way we can prototype this" will
generate a prototype by nature of the implied challenge to do the
impossible.

If no discussion and no tuits can be found to prototype an RFC, then I
guess it wasn't terribly interesting in the first place.

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse