Garrett> I agree... why can't a block be a block? Or put another way, instead of
Garrett> trying to shoehorn in something new, why don't we take away something old
Garrett> and treat all the blocks the same under Perl 6?

You mean this would no longer work?

    while (<>) {
      if ($some_condition) {
        fred fred fred;
        next;
      }
      barney barney barney;
    }

Yup.  Sure looks like a block to me.  If "next" aborts only the "if"
block, but still executes barney barney, then it's now useless for
about 70% of my usage of "next".

Nope, I think we need a distinction between "looping" blocks and
"non-looping" blocks.  And further, it still makes sense to
distinguish "blocks that return values" (like subroutines and map/grep
blocks) from either of those.  But I'll need further time to process
your proposal to see the counterarguments now.