>From: Tom Christiansen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>> From: Jarkko Hietaniemi
>>
>> >I find this urge to push exceptions everywhere quite sad.
>>
>> Rather.
>>
>> Languages that have forgotten or dismissed error returns, turning
>> instead to exceptions for everything in an effort to make the code
>> "safer", tend in fact to produce code that is tedious and annoying.

>There seems to be some general consensus that some people would like to be
>able to short-circuit functions like grep. Do you see no need for the code

What, you mean like

    Loop controls don't work in an C<if> or C<unless>, either, since
    those aren't loops.  But you can always introduce an extra set
    of braces to give yourself a bare block, which I<does> count
    as a loop.

        if (/pattern/) {{
            last if /alpha/;
            last if /beta/;
            last if /gamma/;
            # do something here only if still in if()
        }}

--tom