On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 03:11:54PM -0500, David Grove wrote:
> Perhaps, then, there should be one more officer, chosen by Larry himself.
> This person would be responsible for collecting public opinions and
> representing them to the developer group, who needs to follow that guidance
> as long as they're technically capable.

Well, we have two. One for the users, and one for the corporates.

> This person should also determine the timing of releases, or agree to the
> timing based on public opinion. No more of this releasing versions before
> they're ready or withholding modules.

This is screamingly insane. The people who do the development are the people
who are best placed to know when it's time to ship.

Consider:
    "Public Opinion": Hey, we need Perl 6 stable in three weeks.
    Coders: But, uhm, we haven't started coding yet.

No, no, no, no. He who leads the development *must* lead the release schedule.
This is open source, David. You might have heard of it.

> Don't think that our current "information officer" is capable of accurately
> or faithfully filling this role, you'd be off by several hundred miles.

You kind of have to justify statements like that, I'm afraid.

--
        buf[hdr[0]] = 0;        /* unbelievably lazy ken (twit) */  - Andrew Hume